Green smoothies are made with green leafy vegetables like spinach, kale or chard. Sounds quite unappetising – but the addition of fruit makes them taste good. Green smoothies are not as sweet and delicious as fruit smoothies, but the more regularly you drink them the more you like them, and the health benefits are fantastic. Their texture is thick, sometimes a bit rough – but that in itself can be enjoyable. They are truly refreshing. You can feel the fibre in them surging through your system as you drink them, pushing out the rubbish.
As well as being full of fibre, green smoothies contain significantly less sugar than fruit smoothies, and the addition of green leafy vegetables make them nutritional powerhouses. Dark green leafy veggies like kale and spinach contain iron, calcium and protein – yes, protein. They are good for you when cooked, but even better when consumed raw because some of the nutrient content is lost during the cooking process.
Fruit smoothies also contain lots of nutrients, and can be drunk as a complement to green smoothies. But the Food Standards Agency classifies fruit smoothies as containing just one of your five-a-day because much of the fibre is removed during the juicing process – although there is some whole fruit and therefore some fibre included. With green smoothies, all of the fibre is retained.
One litre (2 x 500ml servings) of green smoothie from The Flavour Co will give you all of your five-a-day.
This doesn’t mean you should avoid fruit smoothies – they are delicious and very nutritious. But green smoothies take this to another level.
Our green smoothies are made in a powerful Blendtec blender to bring out the best flavour and nutrition from the fresh ingredients.
• Green smoothies are made with water instead of fruit juice and therefore contain significantly less fruit sugar than fruit smoothies.
• Unlike fruit smoothies, green smoothies retain the fibre from the fruit and vegetables, which means they contain more of your “five a day” than fruit smoothies made with juiced fruit.
• Drinking 1 litre of green smoothie each day can reduce cravings for refined food and sugar – so you can improve your health without having to cut anything out. As you get used to drinking green smoothies and have them on a daily basis, you’ll probably find that your appetite for chocolate and fatty foods starts to decline. You may well find that you actually want to eat more salads and fresh vegetables too. And whatever else you eat, you’ll know you have given your body most of the vitamins and minerals it needs.
• Green smoothies can help you lose weight – find out how here.
• Green smoothies will keep refrigerated for 48 hours, though they are best consumed on the day of purchase.
• Order your green smoothies before 3pm the day before – or book your green smoothie deliveries for a week (payment in advance).